Why have always been we more vulnerable to getting HIV or a sexually sent Infection (STI)?
It’s important to just simply take protective measures in order to avoid getting HIV or other STIs during intercourse while the danger is greater for males that have intercourse with males than for other folks. Simply because the lining associated with rectum is more delicate than the liner of the vagina which is consequently more at an increased risk to become damaged.
Insertive rectal intercourse (topping) is normally a smaller risk for HIV than receptive anal intercourse (bottoming), but both topping and bottoming during unprotected (condomless) rectal intercourse is recognized as high-risk.
Guys that have sex with men made 45% of new HIV diagnoses in 2017 in the united kingdom. Within Solent Sexual Health men who possess sex with men comprised 48% of all of the brand new HIV diagnoses in 2018.
There have also online payday loans Oregon direct lenders increases within the wide range of Syphilis and Gonorrhoea diagnoses in Hampshire. These two could be handed down by condomless intercourse also anal intercourse.
With PrEP (Pre-exposure prophylaxis) being more easy to get at, some individuals can be placing by themselves at greater chance of getting an STI as PrEP just protects against HIV transmission.
Lowering your danger of catching an STI or HIV
The easiest way to safeguard your self if you are planning to have dental or anal intercourse is work with a condom each and every time. Even though they aren’t 100% guaranteed in full, whenever used precisely condoms are incredibly effective. Top methods for making use of condoms.
Condoms are offered in different sizes and varieties, consequently when you haven’t quite found the right fit or feel, take to utilizing alternative sizes, brands and kinds to see just what works for you personally. If you’re responsive to latex, decide to try making use of latex condoms that are free. Condoms can be found free via our Condoms by Post solution.
You can lower your danger by:
- Making use of lubrication. We recommend water based lube, nevertheless this will be dry or gluey helping to make condom splitting much more likely. Keep refreshing it with additional lube or several falls of water while having sex. Spit can spread some STIs, therefore avoid saliva that is using.
- Reducing the quantity of intimate lovers you have got
- Getting tested for STIs before sex with somebody brand new and advising that in addition they get tested. Then 3 monthly STI testing is recommended if you are having frequent changes in sexual partners.
- Reducing other activities which will impact your choices, such has eating too much liquor or using medications.
- Getting immunised (vaccinated) against Hepatitis B, Hepatitis a plus some forms of HPV.
If you utilize medications within the intercourse you’re having (Chemsex), it is important to be informed regarding the dangers included and exactly how to relax and play since properly as you are able to. Some forms of Chems pose a greater danger for your requirements simply because they may cause long run health issues such as for instance despair, fat loss and emotional dependence. To learn more about playing properly, click the link.
That you have been exposed to HIV click here if you are worried.
Professional services we could provide to you personally
- Hepatitis a for males
- Hepatitis B for males
- Peoples Papillomavirus (HPV) for males aged between 15 and 45
MSM clinic (Hospital Xtra):
Clinic Xtra provides tailored solutions for males who possess intercourse with males including:
- Post visibility prophylaxis for HIV (PEPSE)
- Advice and support for pre publicity prophylaxis for HIV (PrEP)
- Referrals for support around ChemSex and substance risk and misuse decrease
- STI screening and treatment
Hospital Xtra health that is sexual can be obtained at:
- St Marys Hospital, Portsmouth: Thursday 5:00 – 7:00pm
- Royal Southern Hants Hospital, Southampton: Thursday 5:00 – 7:00pm
- Crown Heights, Basingstoke: 5:00 – 7:00pm monday
- Andover wellness Centre: 10:30am – 12:00pm friday
Do you want assistance to lessen your risk?
You can arrange to see one of our health promotion practitioners if you would like to find out about support available or further advice. Please contact 0300 300 2016 and have to talk to the Sexual Health advertising Team or e-mail snhs. Sexualhealthpromotion@nhs.net.
Are you subjected to HIV?
You might have been exposed to HIV (had unprotected sex with someone whose HIV status you do not know, or know to be positive and not on fully suppressed (undetectable) on treatment, or shared injecting equipment), you may be eligible for Post-exposure Prophylaxis if you are concerned.
Effective HIV treatment (ART) lets people lead healthier active life and additionally protects their lovers. Whenever viral load is invisible on ART, HIV is not any longer sexually transmitted – with or without condoms. The ev
Post-exposure Prophylaxis (PEP or PEPSE) is medication it is possible to simply simply take in lowering the opportunity of HIV transmission. It really is per month long span of medicine that is taken after unsafe sex where there is a greater chance of publicity. PEP or PEPSE should be studied just as feasible after intercourse, and surely within 72 hours. The sooner it really is started the much more likely it’s to operate. You will have to have an evaluation with a physician or nursing assistant just before are prescribed this medicine. It is necessary you have started it that you complete the course once.
That you have been exposed to HIV you should attend one of our clinics, or an Accident and Emergency department straight away if you are worried.